On August 4, I will get on my bike in Sturbridge, MA along with 5500
other riders from all over the world and begin a 2 day 200 mile bike
ride to raise money for cancer research as part of the Pan-Mass
Challenge. The PMC is the nation's first fund raising bike-a-thon and
raises more money (by FAR) than any other athletic fund raising event in
the world. Last year we raised $35 million and 100% of every dollar
went directly to research at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute through
the Jimmy Fund.
I have been riding the Pan Mass since 2002 and it is something I am
incredibly proud to be part of.
Every year, I struggle with whether
to participate because I end up soliciting the same people every year
and I am a quite aware of “donor fatigue”. But in the end, this is an
important event. It makes a tangible difference in the fight against
cancer. It is worthwhile. and clicking on the “Donate
to my ride” button.
Or, if you prefer, you can send a check made out to "PMC/Jimmy Fund" to:
David LeFebvre 31578-2
Personally, I ride so my kids will never know what cancer is. My
daughter Gretchen is now involved and she loves it! In 2008 she started
by completing two PMC Kids Rides and raised a little over $500. This
year she achieved “Heavy Hitter” status as one of the best fund raisers!
Owen is up next -he loves riding his tricyle!
I am off to a late start with the fund raising, so please be generous. It will be worth it when we wipe
out cancer for good.
You can give on-line by going to http://www.pmc.org/profile/DL0080
77 4th Ave
Needham, MA 02494. Your gifts are 100% tax deductible. I ride to honor the following people and will wear their names on my jersey to remind me of why
If there is anyone you would like to honor or remember,
I would be proud to put their names on my bike -just let me know!
- Andrew Snekvik friend
who died of colon cancer
Verni my cousin who died of leukemia
- David LeFebvre my father who beat
- Kurt Whitaker
my college roommate who beat testicular cancer!
Fran Holt family friend who recently died of pancreatic cancer
- Jack Bowe family friend who recently died of cancer
- Sharron Woodger Jeanne's cousin currently
- Trudy Curtiss
Jeanne's aunt who lost her battle with cancer
Frank Curtiss Jeanne's uncle who lost his battle with cancer
- John Curtiss Jeanne's uncle who lost
his battle with cancer
Curtiss Jeanne's uncle who lost his battle with cancer
- Carlos Sastre friend, 2008 Tour de France Champion, and cancer advocate
- Andy Sudduth rowing friend (hero actually!)
and Olympic medalist who died of pancreatic cancer
- Pete Cipollone rowing friend and Olympic Gold medalist who beat cancer!
- Dr. John Gridley extended family member
who died of liver cancer
McHattie extended family member who died of pancreatic cancer
- David Walko friend and co-worker who beat prostate cancer!
- Henry Fenyo 6 year old son of college
buddy currently battling Leukemia
- Marc Mandich friend of friend who died of cancer 2004
- Sebastian Müller one of the rowers I coached
who beat cancer last year 2011!
- Jane Cournoyer family friend who died of
- Steve Lasala my
uncle who inspired me to first ride the PMC and beat testicular canceer
Roberta Wilbur family friend who beat breast cancer!
Rampley family friend who died of lung cancer.
- Tom Dunn family friend who died of prostate